Tuesday 21 January 2014

Pepitas (Roasted pumpkin seeds)

Normally I would simply discard the innards of the pumpkin. But I recalled the bread I had once, which had this layer of crunchy pepitas on top and it was yum. I did not add the pepitas to any bread though. We ate them as snack. They are delicious and easy to make. Although I did follow Ree Drummond's recipe and really thought it'd take an hour of baking in the oven.

Pepitas

Innards of one pumpkin
Salt
2 tsp vegetable oil

1. Rinse the innards in a colander, pulling away the chunks of pulp as you go.


2. Spread the rinsed seeds out on a baking sheet.


3. Allow the seeds to dry for several hours. Don't use paper towels to dry them as they are slimy. Just leave them to dry on the baking sheet.
4. When the seeds are dry, preheat the oven at 120°C.
5. Drizzle the seeds with the vegetable oil. Toss the seeds around to coat.
6. Salt the seeds to taste. Bake for about 15 minutes until they turn light golden brown.


Remarks: I thought they really need an hour in the oven, so I was not going to look at them until halfway through or so. Luckily they started to pop like popcorn, after about 15 minutes in the oven and some already started to get darker than light golden. Thank God for the popping sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment