Friday 17 January 2014

Keria

There was more than enough of sweet potatoes lying around the house, and I decided to make sweet potato doughnuts or keria as we call them. These are my sister's favorite, after doughnuts - they are from the same family after all. She was so excited when I told her that I made these. I hope I get to make her some when she's back.

Keria

250 g sweet potatoes
1 tbsp tapioca starch
80 g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

For the glaze:
80 g granulated sugar (I used brown sugar)
3 tbsp water

1. Peel and oil the sweet potatoes until tender. Mash them while still hot.
2. Add tapioca starch, flour, and salt to the mashed sweet potatoes. Mix to combine until the dough holds together.


3. Divide the dough into small portions. Shape the dough into desired size using your hands. Form into balls and flatten them out a bit. Make a hole in the middle.


4. Deep fry the doughnuts until they become golden in color. Drain excess oil from the fried doughnuts. Set aside to cool.
 

5. Prepare a pan and add sugar and water for the coating. Wait until the sugar mixture thickens, and add in the doughnuts. Stir to glaze the doughnuts with the syrup until the sugar crystallized. Remove and let them cool.


 Recipe shared by Azlita.


Remarks: My keria did not have the crystallized sugar that stuck on prettily like others. Perhaps I put in too much water in the glaze. But the keria are still sweet, they taste like normal keria. They just don't look pretty. Haha.These are also super soft keria, because I put in less flour than the recipe called for - fearing they'd turn out to be hard like some of the bought ones. I need to make some amendments of course, but I love how I can make keria now. Give it a try.

My second try, looking much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment