Sunday 5 January 2014

Chai tea/masala chai

[Updated]

Somehow I recall having the knowledge before, that this beverage is not actually called Chai tea. Let me shed some light on this now.

Chai is a Hindi word for tea. The real name is Masala chai, or literally mixed-spice tea. Source: Wikipedia.

Although before I started to gain a lot of interest in spices or rather when I was younger, the word Masala  scared me. I was picturing a truckload of spices in the drink, and no tea flavor at all. Clueless, I know.

I love Chai tea  masala chai so much that I used to sneak into the competitor's grounds to get my fix. Just because my former workplace did not offer it in the menu. It is so easy to make, actually. So, here's to delicious homemade Chai tea  masala chai.

Chai tea

2 cups water
1 piece cinnamon stick
4 green cardamom pods, smashed gently
4 whole cloves
1 star anise
2 quarter-sized pieces fresh ginger
2 tsp black tea leaves
1 tbsp condensed milk

1.  In a medium saucepan, bring the water, all of the spices and ginger to a boil over medium heat. Turn of the heat and allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
2.  Bring the mixture back to a boil, then add the tea. Turn the heat off, and allow it to steep for 3-5 minutes depending on how strong you like your tea.
3. Stir in the condensed milk and strain it into a mug and serve.

Original recipe by Aarti Sequeira


No comments:

Post a Comment